Monday, January 7, 2013

New year = new trials and tribulations

We welcomed another new year even though I am not really sure where the last one went.  I know I didn't accomplish most of the things I wanted to, which makes me sad and upset with myself.  I am hoping this year will be a bit different.  I am thinking of a new way to approach it.  There are tons of things I want to change about myself and my life in general.  And when I say lots, I mean I am pretty sure I could name at least 100.  So...  I think the challenge I am going to present myself with is changing one thing a week.  Some of these things will be so simple like brushing my teeth twice a day instead of once or not at all.  Or going to bed at a more decent hour even if I read for awhile before lights out.  Or replacing at least one glass of pop with a glass of water each day.  I have bigger challenges for myself like exercising 5 days a week or following a more strict schedule with the kids.

I am very aware this seems like a lot of change, but if I focus my attention on one thing a week and slowly add to it every week, I am hoping it will become permanent.  I think I will focus on three small things per month and one big thing.  A key part of this is I will not be able to move onto the next thing on my list until I was successful at the first thing for the entire week.  I know most people do much better with smaller goals, but I am more of the big picture kind of person.  I'm an all or nothing.  I either have to do it all or do nothing, because small goals just don't work for me.

I want this to be a lifestyle change, so I am not setting goals as far as weight or deadlines for myself.  I know what my ultimate goal is and what my healthy weight range is, so those are my final goals.  However, I do not have a time limit on those as long as I know I am working each day to obtain them.

Okay, I just wanted to get those thoughts down.  I plan to post another blog soon about the happenings in our family.  Until then.

Hugs ~ B.

No comments:

Post a Comment