Thursday, September 13, 2012

Climbing a mountain.

I've been working on doing things more for myself, such as daily showers and exercise.  However, I think it would be easier to climb a mountain.  One would think something like a daily shower would be an easy accomplishment.  I, however, seem to struggle to fit it in.

Lately I have become harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning.  The effects from my insomnia have really started to take their toll on me.  After 3 years of struggling with this disease, once I fall asleep, I rarely want to wake up.  For me the issue is falling asleep, not staying asleep.  However, being that my husband works 3rd shift, I am the only one here to deal with a sleep walking toddler, bad dreams and night time sickness.  I am usually awoken at least once if not up to three times by one of my four kids, each and every night.  It takes me a good 2 hours to fall asleep once I'm ready for bed.  So, having sleep interrupted is very hard on me. 
The issue of lack of sleep is a constant battle in my household.  My husband has to switch his sleep schedule every week and ends up with a total of 6 nights of sleep a week instead of 7 if you add up the hours he gets and divide by 7.  I however, usually end up with 5 nights doing the same equation.  So my question remains, who has it worse?  The one who averages less sleep per night with 1-3 interruptions during or the one who averages more sleep per day in less days?  I've been told sleeping during the day is not as good as sleeping at night.  However, interrupted sleep is not as good as uninterrupted sleep during the day.

I wish this issue could be solved for us.  Unfortunately, I think it will forever be a stand off, agreeing to disagree over sleep between my husband and I.  Which is really too bad.  It's the only thing we struggle with.  I guess I'm glad it's not finances that drive us to arguing though. :o)

However, we each have an uphill battle everyday or night for that matter while we have to be awake.  I struggle to stay awake to take care of my kids and usually run out of energy before I run out of what I should do in a day.  He struggles at times to stay awake all night operating and fixing huge deep draw stamping presses that can potentially kill him if he's not careful.  As well as running out of patients with everyone around him before he is able to go back to bed.

For his safety I give up on my sleep.  But for my sanity and the kids' well being he will also give up on his sleep.  Neither is a good solution.  So what is??  I wish I knew the answer.  Until then we will have to continue to climb the mountain of tiredness.

Hugs, ~B.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Melatonin?

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have. It worked for about 2 weeks and then my body slowly became immune to it. There still isn't a good solution to this problem because night time sleep aids that are supposed to keep me asleep are out due to my kids.

    ReplyDelete