Sunday, March 25, 2012

Time to be selfish

I realized today that I rarely do things for myself.  This includes just about everything from prioritizing my likes and interests to buying myself decent clothing to doing everyday things like showering or styling my hair.  Yes I shower, but not daily anymore.  I skip it to have more time to clean or make my kids look good.  I know it's not good to avoid the me things in life, but I haven't found a great way to balance all of my time.  I'm not very good at leaving things for tomorrow.  If the house needs to be cleaned, I feel as though it can't wait.  When in reality it can.

I've come up with the idea to reintroduce 2 things a week that I need to do for myself or things that I enjoy doing.  My goal every week will be to incorporate those things into our daily routines and lives.  These things will be as simple as showering daily to as complex as making time for me while still being a good parent.

This week I am starting with brushing my teeth twice a day (at least) and remembering to take my medication twice daily.  My doctor put me on medication because my body doesn't utilize the insulin it makes to it's fullest degree.  No, this is not diabetes, it's called insulin resistant.  The meds help my body use the insulin it creates to it's fullest potential.  When I remember to take the pills, I have more energy through out my day and sleep better at night.  However, I am horrible with remembering to take them. 

I have also gotten lazy on the parenting front.  I let things slide or slip away because I'm too worn out or don't feel like dealing with it.  That's not fair to my kids.  Children thrive on routines and our kids don't really have one.  That is something we need to change and I plan to start that as well.  I figure if I'm on a mission to better myself, we as a family might just as well go right along with me!  I'm coming up with a check list of things that need to be done every day for the kids.  I'm also coming up with a check list of things they need to do to get ready for bed every night.  Then I will laminate the lists and let them check off the things with a dry erase marker each day.  I hope they will enjoy taking ownership for what they do AND being allowed to actually use a marker makes it all that much better! :o)  These check lists will replace their chore charts and they will still be able to earn their rewards each week with this system.

I pray that all of my changes to our lives will help me to keep pushing through my own journey.  I pray it will help me get back to the person I used to be and help me to be the best I can be for not only myself but my kids as well.  I also pray it sets the example for my kids that there are things in life that must be done in order to do the things we want to be done.  I also hope it helps them follow directions and rules a little better so I won't be so worried to take them out and do things with them.

All of these changes are really for me in an attempt to regain the control and order that has been lacking in my life since we got married.  I feel as though I'm being selfish.  Maybe I'm not.  But either way I don't care.  I need to try and if I'm wrong I will definitely be the first to admit it.

Hugs ~ B.

No comments:

Post a Comment